Clear braces and Invisalign are often confused with each other and many people often think they are the same but they aren’t, they are two different orthodontics treatments. The reason for the confusion could be that they are both difficult to detect compared to traditional braces. With this post, the confusion between the clear braces and Invisalign will be cleared up.
While both may be different, especially in appearance, they are still out to fulfill the same mission and are excellent choices in orthodontics treatment. They align the teeth, correct bites, and promote the dental hygiene of the patient.
However, before making your decision on which orthodontics treatment to choose from, you must learn how they work and also know their differences to know the better option for your child.
Clear braces or invisible braces are almost the same as traditional braces but this time, it is designed to be less noticeable. Clear braces have the same mechanism and functions as the traditional one in that they make use of an archwire that runs through brackets that are fixed to the teeth.
However, the brackets in clear braces are made from a ceramic material to match the color of the teeth which makes them invisible from afar and even from a short distance until you come close. If you have severely misaligned teeth or bite and want less-noticeable braces on you or for your child, you may want to consider clear braces.
Clear braces are the best option for severe orthodontics issues. With these braces on you can always smile wherever you are and no one would even notice you’ve got braces on.
These are also called clear aligners, invisible aligners, or clear Invisalign and it is currently the most modern orthodontics treatment for misaligned teeth and bad bites. Invisalign is an alternative to braces and is designed to replace it and still carry out the same functions effectively.
Invisalign are clear or invisible plastic aligners for orthodontics treatment in kids, teens, and adults. The Invisalign are molded and designed to fit your teeth and you will have to wear it over your teeth and replace it with a new one every week. With each one worn and removed your teeth gradually shifts into the correct position.
Unlike braces that are tightened and untightened to fit into position and hold your teeth in place, in Invisalign treatment, a digital model of your teeth is made using a technology that creates an exact digital replica of your teeth.
The same tech will then make a digital transformation of your teeth into the perfect alignment which will then be produced and given to you as a set. Each will be worn and discarded every week but you have to wear it for 22 hours daily to get your teeth corrected and should only be taken out for food, drinks, or cleaning of the teeth.
Pros and Cons of Clear Braces
Selecting the right braces is a big deal on your dental and overall oral health and since these clear braces are a type of orthodontics treatment it might be the right one for you but this is better decided by your orthodontics. Let’s see the pros and cons that clear braces pose to teeth treatment.
Pros of Clear Braces
The benefits of clear braces are:
· Clear braces, as I mentioned earlier and even as the name implies, have clear brackets that can be colored like the teeth making it less obvious to notice.
· They are less painful compared to traditional braces and this is as a result of the material used to make the clear braces as it can be less harsh on the gums and cheeks.
· The desirable effect is achieved faster
· It is long-lasting and is capable of lasting for the duration of your treatment
· They are a bit expensive when compared to metal braces but are still cost-effective when compared to alternatives like Invisalign
· You will feel confident wearing clear braces compared to the traditional type.
Cons of Clear Braces
The disadvantages of clear braces are:
· The brackets in clear braces are bigger which makes it difficult to clean your teeth which can lead to discoloration, swollen gum, etc.
· Elastic ties hold the wire to the brackets which can easily get stained from coffee, red wine, and consuming certain food and drinks.
· Compared to metal braces, they are fragile and expensive.
With your clear braces on you must brush and floss regularly to maintain dental hygiene.
Pros and Cons of Invisalign
Invisalign is an alternative to braces and is equally as effective, here are its advantages and disadvantages to know if it is the right one for you.
Pros of Invisalign
· Invisalign are clear-colored aligners that make it invisible and are very less-noticeable.
· You can easily remove them when you want to eat, drink, or change them.
· Due to their easy removal, it makes it easier to brush and floss your teeth, unlike braces where it is hard to work around the wires and brackets. With Invisalign aligners, you can remove them wash your mouth well, and pop them back in place.
· The aligners cannot fall off or break
Cons of Invisalign
They are not the best option for complex teeth issues
· It is required to wear them for 20-22 hours daily, slipping them on and off at regular intervals won’t produce the desired effect.
· If you do not remove the aligners when eating or drinking and food particles get into it, this can cause bacteria to grow and lead to cavities.
· Your food choices are limited
· They are expensive
If the Invisalign aligners are the best option for you as recommended by your orthodontics, follow the guidelines to take care of it.
Living With Invisalign Clear Aligners
Invisalign clear aligners are suitable for everyone in any environment since they are invisible and won’t even make any significant changes to the way you look. Although at the initial stage of wearing the aligners you will develop minor lisps this goes away after a few hours or a few days.
Your aligners must be cleaned with lukewarm water whenever you take them off to eat or drink- which is the only time it should be taken off – and put back on after you have brushed and flossed your teeth. They can stay on while drinking water.
Living with Invisalign in New York will not disrupt your normal life, you can still go on dates, hang out with friends, smile brightly, take wonderful pictures, and just live your life.
The cost of Invisalign is between $3,500 and $8,000 while braces generally cost between $2,500 and $8,000.
Not all orthodontics are Invisalign-trained, but many are trained to offer this treatment.
While there is no set age for kids to get braces, most orthodontics believe the best time for kids to get braces is when their permanent teeth start coming in, around age 7.
Getting an Invisalign in New York costs between $3,500 and $8,000